What do I want? Where am I? Where am I going?Thursday, October 16, 2014
Half way into my third month (already!) in France, I'm having a heart attack (again) on what I have come here to do, and what I have achieved so far.
My French goals 2014-5:
- Improve my French language skills
- Improve my cooking skills
- Improve my fitness skills
- Continue blogging
- Keep in touch with family and boyfriend regularly
A lot of improving. How much have I improved, so far?
- French // I speak it every day, but I still haven't enrolled into any courses yet.
I've tried Franglish events, every Wednesdays in a bar somewhere in town. It's language exchange in a speed dating set up; you talk in English/French in equal set times, then change onto the next table and person. But the bar setting tends to be noisy so it's hard to hear each other, and at 14 minutes per table (7 minutes in each language), it's not easy to get past the usual introduction - hi, I'm Viv, what brings you here, what do you do, how long have you been here? Oh, time's up, bye.
I've tried to find groups on Meetup, Couchsurfing, Facebook, Leboncoin. I don't mind paying for private lessons, as long as they are not too expensive and if the teacher is good. I want to perfect my grammar, widen my vocab and improve on those cultural nuances, so I can laugh along with the others and not feel left out.
- Cooking // Slowly does it. Simple and healthy.
- Fitness // Marathon training starts... when?
- Blogging // keep it up!
- Keeping in touch // time difference sucks