Lessons from a CEOWednesday, November 23, 2016
We had the chance to listen to the wise words of our CEO at work last week. Here are some notes I jotted down.
Some of the points learnt from our CEO yesterday:
- Be the best in your field - what can you do to excel at your role better than the rest of your peers, perhaps in other companies, who do your same job?
- There will be stages in your career where you get the opportunity to step sideways as well as up - transferring your skill set to areas that you may not expertise in. This is a chance to become a well rounded leader
- Rather than focusing on climbing the ladder as quickly as possible, go through the full cycle in each of your role - plan, execute, achieve, review. It is important to experience each step before you reach the upper ranks
- Depending on which stage of the business life cycle your units sits under - start up, growth expansion, turnover, etc. - you'll be required to bring out different strengths in your leadership style
- Picture yourself at age 80 - what kind of person do you want to be seen as, what kind of legacy do you want to have left behind? What was your purpose in life?
- Learn from other people's successes and failures - reading heaps of people's biographies helps
The reading list for 2017 is already filling up fast, I might have to rev up my reading speed. Rather than being anxious that my career isn't progressing as quickly as I'd like it to, let's learn from the greats who have made history and study how they did it. I am trying hard to be the best I can be.